EXETER, England (AP):Brad Smith scored for Liverpool in the 73rd minute as the English Premier League side twice hit back to draw 2-2 with fourth-tier Exeter in the FA Cup yesterday.Liverpool have never lost to fourth-tier opposition but were just 17 minutes away from making unwanted history.Tom Nichols put Exeter ahead in the ninth minute and despite Jerome Sinclair’s equaliser three minutes later, the hosts retook the lead on half-time through Lee Holmes. Smith then got the second equaliser for Juergen Klopp’s side.”It’s obvious what we have to learn in the future,” Klopp said to the BBC. “We have to be more robust. It was a difficult pitch. Exeter did really well. Maybe they know which part of the pitch you can play football. It was really difficult for us. On one-on-one situations they were more robust than our guys.”Klopp selected a squad that had 17 changes from the League Cup semi-final victory at Stoke on Tuesday against a side 76 places beneath them.Exeter went ahead when Nichols stretched for a low pass across goal from Jamie Reid and poked the ball into the bottom corner.Liverpool were level three minutes later when Exeter did not clear the ball and Sinclair steered it low past goalkeeper Robert Olejnik.Christian Ribeiro headed wide when unmarked for Exeter who retook the lead on half-time when Holmes scored direct from a corner after Liverpool goalkeeper Adam Bogdan misjudged the flight of the ball.Olejnik pushed a firm header from Christian Benteke over the bar and Liverpool equalised again when Smith hit a first-time shot into the net.
FOLLOWING last Saturday’s start of the 2016 athletics season with the Purewater/JC Invitational and the Herbert Morrison First Chance meets, action will switch to three venues today, with all three meets starting at 8:30 a.m.In the Corporate Area, the National Stadium will play host to the Douglas Forrest Invitational, while in central Jamaica, Manchester High will host the Charlie Fuller Field Events. The JAAA/Puma Development meet will take place at nearby Windalco, Kirkvine.All three meets will be used as qualifiers for the ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Athletics Championships to be held between March 15-19 at the National Stadium and action is expected to move into another gear today as all three meets are expected to be well represented, with the top high school teams to be on show.At Manchester High, all the throwing events will be contested. At the Douglas Forrest meet, there will be both track and field events, with the track events being the 200m, 800m, 1500m, 400m hurdles with the high, long, and triple jumps being contested in the field.Over at Windalco, there will be no field events, but the scheduled 200m, 400m, 800m and 4x800m relays are sure to excite.
This was the second-longest winning streak in Girls’ Champs history, behind Vere Technical’s 15.All of Holmwood’s victories came under former head coach Maurice Wilson, who has served as technical leader of Jamaica’s senior track and field team, and is also a senior lecturer at G.C. Foster College of Physical Education and Sports.Holmwoods’ last victory came in 2013, Wilson’s final year in charge of the team, and since his departure the team has struggled to remain in the top three, finishing a disappointing fourthat the last twooutings.Wilson’s long-time assistant coach Dave Anderson, who has been in the programme for the past 17 years, has been given the mantle to try and revive the programme. He was promoted to the head coach position at the start of the season and he is very confident of restoring pride at the institution.”This will be a new challenge for me and I am up for it, and after finishing fourth in the past two years, my aim is to ensure that the team move from fourth to a positive position, and based on the work the girls have been putting in so far, I am very confident that we will go higher than fourth,” said Anderson.Two of his best middle-distance athletes in Shanieke Watson and Lisa Buchanan, who scored major points for them over the past few seasons, have left, but Anderson thinks he still has enough ammunition to continue to do well in this area.”The young ones have done well so far at the various meets, and I am confident they can fill the shoes of those two girls, and we do have people in all three classes who can hold their own,” he continued. “We are very strong right across the board, and we have been doing well on the track and our strength is in this area, but we do have quality people in the field events.””Being fourth for the past two years has been an unfamiliar position for us, and we think we have a team that can challenge for the title. When you look on second and third for the past two years it is around 17 points separation here and because we have not executed well on the days, especially the final day, we have finished fourth, but once we do execute well, I am confident we can move up.”
ARSENAL (4-2-3-1)CECH,BELLERIN, MERTESACKER, KOSCIELNY, MONREAL,FLAMINI, RAMSEY,CAMPBELL, OZIL, WALCOTT,GIROUDAGUERO,STERLING, SILVA, NAVAS,TOURE, FERNANDINHO,CLICHY, KOMPANY, OTAMENDI, SAGNA,HARTMAN CITY (4-2-3-1)This is the first clash of the season that may give a pointer to the potential winners of the Barclays Premier League. Arsenal are second, two points behind leaders Leicester City, while Manchester City are a point behind, in third place.Having won 2-0 at Aston Villa, Arsenal return to the Emirates where they have scored just 11 goals, but they have conceded only five there.Manchester City have three wins from their last seven games in the Premier League and they were fortunate to beat Swansea City at the Etihad Stadium.Arsenal will hope that Olivier Giroud can maintain his impressive run of goals. The Frenchman became the seventh Arsenal player to score 50 Premier League goals with the first in the 2-0 win over Villa last Sunday. Giroud scored his 50th goal in his 113th game.City have not got a great Premier League record at Arsenal. In 18 visits they have won just once, in April 2012, while drawing six, including four of the last six.
Rivoli enjoyed much of the early exchanges and certainly dominated the scoring chances from open play, while Tivoli Gardens were left to scrap off half chances and dead ball situations. The visitors almost doubled their lead, when from one of their many counter-attacks Nicholas Scott was dragged down in the penalty area by Tivoli’s Shavar Campbell as Rivoli continued to threaten. Campbell had to pay the price of a yellow card, but Jeremy Nelson’s ensuing penalty kick miss in what was the 39th minute spared both Campbell and his team any further setbacks. A few rolls of the die by the Tivoli Gardens bench saw Jamaica College standout Donovan Dawkins being replaced by the experienced Jermaine ‘Teddy’ Johnson, and the return was almost immediate as the hosts regained some attacking flair in the second half. Tivoli Gardens dominated the contest from this point and Andrew Christie brought them level in the 58th minute after heading home from point blank range. The winner also came from a header as captain Andre Morgan punched home the vital strike in the 88th minute to send the home crowd in a frenzy. In his first game back in charge, Bailey said: “In the second half, I think we showed guts and courage and the mentality that it takes in order to come out of relegation, so I am pleased with that aspect.” “There is a lot of work to be done. I am not promising anybody anything but I am just trying my best to ensure that the end of the season we will be in the league. I only can try,” Bailey told The Gleaner. Meanwhile, Rivoli United’s assistant Bradley Stewart blamed “poor officiating” for his team’s loss. Tivoli moved out of the relegation zone, to 10th place on 23 points, after leapfrogging Rivoli (22), and Waterhouse FC (21). The Glendon ‘Admiral’ Bailey effect was felt right away on the Tivoli Gardens bench. Bailey, who previously won two titles with Tivoli Gardens, returned to lead the struggling team to a come-from-behind 2-1 win over Rivoli United in the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex yesterday. It’s a return and a result that has left the Tivoli Gardens faithful a lot more confident in their belief that their team will avoid relegation after what has been a very disappointing season so far. The fixture was originally rescheduled after being abandoned due to a sewage-logged field. Things didn’t start too well for the hosts and it looked at, one point, to be heading towards another undesired result when Rivoli right back Kevin Graham slipped unmarked through the Tivoli Gardens defence to spank home the visitors’ opener with nine minutes on the clock. SHOTS ON GOAL
BOXING: Wray & Nephew (SUB DECK) Popular series gets under way on March 9 Welterweight boxers will be in the spotlight this year when the very popular Wray and Nephew 2016 Contender boxing series kicks off on Wednesday, March 9, at the Chinese Benevolent Association auditorium on Hope Road in St Andrew. The series, which started in 2011 and alternates between middleweight and welterweight boxers each year, is a made-for-television production that is sanctioned by the Jamaica Boxing Board. It will be broadcast live each week on Television Jamaica (TVJ) at 9 p.m. and will see 16 boxers drawn from the Caribbean and the United States vying for top honours. The first prize is one million dollars. The team concept will again be used this year, with one team of eight boxers being designated Green and the other eight-man team Yellow. One boxer from each team will go up against a boxer from the opposing team every week in the preliminary rounds. At the quarter final stage, the eight boxers left in the competition will be seeded and a draw will take place to decide on the matchup each week. There will be eight preliminary bouts, four quarter-final fights, the two semi-finals and then the finals. There will also be two amateur bouts each night. There will be an official launch on Thursday this week, at which the promoters will give the details of the format that will be followed this year, the names of the boxers on the two teams and the total prize money that will be paid out to the boxers. The Caribbean team will have boxers from Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Guyana and Barbados and will be a mixture of new talent and tried and proven crowd favourites. Previous winners were in 2011, middleweight boxer Ricardo Smith; 2012, welterweight Donovan “Police” Campbell; 2013 middleweight Devon Moncriffe; 2014 welterweight Sakima Mullings; and 2015 middleweight Kemahl Russell.
SUNDERLAND,MANNONE,YEDLIN, KONE, KABOUL, VAN AANHOLT,KIRCHHOFF,CATTERMOLE, M’VILA,BORINI, DEFOE, KHAZRIWELBECK,SANCHEZ, OZIL, IWOBI,COQUELIN, ELNENY,MONREAL, KOSCIELNY, GABRIEL, BELLERIN,CECHARSENAL (4-2-3-1)This game has become hugely important for both teams. Sunderland, having won 3-0 at relegation rivals Norwich City last Saturday, could move out of the bottom three with a win over Arsenal, whose title aspirations are over and who now face a fight to qualify for the Champions League.Norwich, in 17th place, and 16th-place Crystal Palace, are without league games this weekend so the incentive for a home win is clear.Arsenal, who were at home to West Bromwich Albion last night in a rearranged game, have won just one of their last six away matches in the Barclays Premier League, though they have scored 32 goals on the road so far this season, the most in the division.Indeed, Arsene Wenger’s men have played Sunderland twice this season, both at home, winning 3-1 both in the league, in December, and in the FA Cup a month later.And the Gunners’ record at Sunderland in the Premier League is impressive, with seven wins – including their last four visits to the Stadium of Light – and four draws. They last lost in the league at Sunderland in November 2009 and have scored 19 goals in 14 visits, while the Black Cats have never scored more than one goal – and only eight in total – in those 14 games.Sunderland have a clean bill of health ahead of the game but Arsenal’s injury problems continue. They continue to miss several key players, including Santi Cazorla, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Tomas Rosicky and Jack Wilshere.
NEW YORK (CMC): Jamaican sprint star Usain Bolt says he is targeting a sub-19-seconds run in the 200 metres and has cast doubt over whether he will wind up his illustrious career following the Rio Olympics in August. The reigning World and Olympic champion in both the 100 and 200 metres, Bolt is seeking to become the first athlete to win the events at three successive Olympiads, following his conquests in Beijing in 2008 and in London four years later. “Just to defend my titles, to do the three-peat. That’s my main goal. That’s my main focus,” Bolt said here. “My secondary goal is to try and run sub-19. That’s something I really want, and I hope that everything goes smoothly and I can get it. That would be a big step for me.” The 29-year-old, who holds the 200 metres world record at 19.19 seconds, has struggled with an ankle injury this year but has slowly worked his way back into fitness and is scheduled to make his season debut next month at the Cayman Islands Invitational. Bolt is also expected to appear at the Ostrava Golden Spike later in May before participating in his own track club’s meet, Racer’s Track Club Grand Prix, in June, ahead of the Jamaica trials. “I’m feeling OK. My coach (Glen Mills) says my fitness is not exactly where he wants it to be,” Bolt said. “Starting out this season, I had a problem with my ankles, and it was a setback, but not that bad. We’re getting back on track, and he’s happy with the progress I’m making.” He added: “I have two months before trials and three and a half months before the championships. I’ll keep pushing myself, and hopefully, everything smooths out and I’ll be at my best when the Olympics comes around.” KEEPING OPTIONS OPEN Though he has hinted at retirement after Rio, he said Mills had urged him to keep his options open regarding the issue. “Coach says I shouldn’t say I want to retire just yet. I should focus on the year and see how I feel after the World Championships (in London),” he said, in reference to the IAAF event next year. “And if I still feel like I want to retire, I should. But he says to give it a chance because I think my coach is pushing for me to go a few more years. We’ll see what happens. “Personally, I don’t really want to continue for years and years because it’s getting hard. I have to sacrifice more and more. It takes up so much of your time.” He continued: “I’m never going to come out and joke or be a joke in a season. I’m a winner. I believe in winning. I hate to lose. I will never come out and say it is a farewell tour. I will want to compete at my best, go to the championships and win again.”
Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz had the perfect warm-up for next month’s Copa Centenario Cup when they stunned World number three ranked Chile 2-1 in Santiago last night.The Boyz produced a disciplined and resolute performance over the defending Copa America champions and now appear ready to surprise some of the big guns when the Copa Centenario kicks off in the United States.Clayton Donaldson fired the Reggae Boyz in front after 36 minutes and Joel Grant made it 2-0 on 53 minutes, before Nicholas Castillo pulled a goal back for the home team eight minutes from time.Jamaica led at half-time when Je-Vaughn Watson slipped a pass to the wily Gareth McCleary down the right and the tricky winger’s low cross found the Donaldson, who didn’t get the best first touch but reacted sharply to toe the ball past the advancing Chilean goalkeeper from six yards.The Chileans, who also had their chances in the half kept the Jamaicans under constant pressure for the last five minutes but the Boyz held their lead to the breakAfter the break, the hosts had the Boyz under siege with wave after wave of attacks but the Boyz caught them on the counter and Grant headed home from Giles Barnes’ cross on 53 minutes to make it 2-0. The home team increased their intensity afterwards and created but squandered numerous opportunities. But they eventually got a goal back. Kemar Lawrence’s attempted clearance hit Nicolas Castillo and went into the net.The Chileans tried desperately to get an equaliser but the Winfried Schafer-coached team held firm in defence to come away with a famous victory.
PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC):Olympic star Keshorn Walcott and sprinter Michelle Lee Ahye have been voted Trinidad and Tobago’s top sportspersons of the year.The 23-year-old Walcott was rewarded for his bronze medal at the Rio Olympics, where he threw 83.45 metres to reach the podium for the second successive Olympiad.As a teenager, he shocked the world to capture gold at the London 2012 showpiece.Walcott also won the national title, finished second at the London Anniversary Games in July with a throw of 83.60m, and third at the Bislett Games in June, with a measurement of 86.35m.Ahye, meanwhile, was good enough to reach the final of both the 100 and 200 metres sprint at the Rio Olympics.In the 100m, she finished sixth in 10.92 seconds and followed up with another sixth-place finish in the 200m, where she was timed at 22.34 seconds.The 24-year-old pulled off the sprint double at the National Championships, won the 100m at the Chris Brown Invitational in April, and was second at the London Anniversary Games.Eighteen-year-old sprinter Khalifa St Fort, a member of the sprint relay women’s team that reached the final in Rio, was voted junior athlete of the year.St Fort also finished third at the IAAF World Under-20 Championships in Bydgoszcz, Poland.Cycling star Nicholas Paul, meanwhile, won the men’s junior athlete of the year award, a just reward for his exploits at the Junior Pan American Track Cycling Championships in August, where he won gold in the sprint and silver in the keirin.