Rape accused jailed for assaulting bus conductor

first_imgSenior Magistrate Leron Daly on Friday jailed a 40-year-old man after he admitted to assaulting a minibus conductor thereby causing him actual bodily harm.Adrian Brandt, who is a Route 47 minibus driver, pleaded guilty to the charge which stated that on July 29, 2019, at High Street, Georgetown, he unlawfully assaulted Eric Coats so as to cause him actual bodily harm.Adrian Brandt being escorted by a Police officerThe unrepresented man in his explanation to the court claimed that he was acting in self-defence since the victim and his friends would usually “beat him up”. He added that he made several reports against the Virtual Complainant but Police ranks would not take him seriously.However, Police Prosecutor Traceyann Gittens in presenting the facts of the case stated that on the day in question, Brandt armed himself with a metal bar, confronted the Virtual Complainant and dealt him several lashes about his body.As a result, Magistrate Daly after listening to both sides sentenced Brandt to six weeks’ imprisonment.Last year, Brandt was committed to stand trial at the High Court after a prima facie case on a rape charge was made out against him. Brandt was slapped with the charge which stated that on October 7, 2018, at Sophia, Greater Georgetown, he sexually assaulted a 14-year-old girl.According to information, the teen was a frequent traveller in the minibus which he operated.It was reported that on the day in question, the teen was a passenger in the minibus when Brandt allegedly drove to an unknown area in Plum Park, Sophia, and reportedly raped her.The teen then complained to her parents about what had transpired and the matter was reported to the police. Brandt is currently on $300,000 bail pending the hearing and determination of the matter in the High Court.Meanwhile, 27-year-old Patrick Dundas, who also appeared before Magistrate Daly, was slapped with two charges for the use of threatening behaviour and language against Brandt.The charges read that on July 29, 2019, at High Street, Georgetown, he made use of threatening behaviour towards Adrian Brandt. Dundas pleaded guilty to this charge.The other charge detailed that on the said date and location, he made use of threatening language towards the said victim. The defendant pleaded not guilty to this charge.As such, Dundas was fined $10,000 on the first charge while he was released on $10,000 for the second. He is expected to make his next court appearance on September 9, 2019.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *