The Guyana Revenue AuthorityStaffers of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) were evacuated from their Camp Street, Georgetown office on Thursday morning following another bomb scare.A report of a bomb being placed on the premises was received just after 09:00h and an alarm was immediately raised to clear the building. Shortly after, the Guyana Police Force (GPF) was deployed to assess the situation.By the end of the day, employees had returned to the building where they resumed operations as per normal. This is the latest of many threats made against public and educational institutions over the past month.The threats started earlier this year when the School of Nations on New Market Street, Georgetown was targeted. The following evening, the school’s Director, Dr Brian O’Toole was shot twice at his home by an unknown person, but he survived the near-death experience.This act came with what was considered warning signs from a social media account, believed to be created by students of the said institution. The threatening posts started on WhatsApp and moved to Facebook, where threats were made on the lives of students. In one instance, two persons were mentioned in the online posts.However, Queen’s College, the Bishops’ High School and the University of Guyana received similar messages, causing concern among parents for the safety of their children. The University had postponed all classes after a second bomb threat was directed at the institution. It was the second consecutive day in which threats were issued, resulting in a visit from both the Guyana Fire Service and the GPF to conduct a thorough search of the premises. Nothing was found. A female student of the Turkeyen campus was charged for allegedly sending threatening messages that a bomb was placed on campus. She has since denied the allegation and was currently on trial.Just last month, news arose that someone threatened to blow up several sections of the Turkeyen campus by reportedly setting off bombs at various locations at the tertiary institution.The GPF, Guyana Fire Service and the University’s security were on high alert and locked down the institution but no explosives were unearthed.
Armando Abundis is being held in lieu of $2 million bail. He faces life in prison with the possibility of parole, if convicted, said Sandi Gibbons, spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. Monday, Pasadena Superior Court Judge Teri Schwartz set the July trial date for Armando Abundis, and asked attorneys to regroup for a status conference June 5. The case has moved slowly on its way to trial due to confusion over whether Frances Abundis was involved in the child’s death. In addition, Armando Abundis is on his fifth attorney since the case against him was filed almost two years ago. so hard email@example.com (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4496 PASADENA – A man who allegedly kicked his 2-year-old niece in the abdomen that it severed her intestine, causing her to die, is scheduled to go to trial July 11, a judge said Monday. Armando Abundis Sr., 34, of Alhambra is charged with murder, child abuse and assault on a child resulting in death in the slaying of Sarah Angelina Chavez, 2, the niece of his wife, Frances. The couple were originally charged together in the Oct. 11, 2005, incident after Alhambra police found the child dead in their home after a frantic 9-1-1 call from Frances Abundis, now 37. In late November 2006, the woman pleaded no contest to being an accessory after the fact and to felony marijuana possession. She is now free after serving 14 months in jail since her arrest and is expected to testify against her husband in his trial. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Spain striker Alvaro Morata 1 Juventus star Alvaro Morata is a wanted man.Arsenal are just one of the clubs being linked with a move for the striker, along with Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United.At Euro 2016 with Spain, the player may have been hoping to impress his suitors, who are likely to sign him once Real Madrid have activated a buy-back clause in the player’s contract.Unfortunately, the 23-year-old centre forward didn’t put in his best showing against Czech Republic in Group D, and was substituted after just 62 minutes.So, what did Gooners think about Morata’s performance? You can see below…
Marco Reus will miss ‘several months’ of action Borussia Dortmund have confirmed that Marco Reus will be sidelined for several months with knee ligament damage.The forward was forced off at half-time of Dortmund’s 2-1 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt in the German Cup final, which will be his last appearance for the club for some time.A statement from the Bundesliga outfit read:‘Borussia Dortmund’s Germany international Marco Reus will be out of action for several months after sustaining a partial tear of the cruciate ligament in his right knee in Saturday evening’s DFB Cup final against Eintracht Frankfurt at Berlin’s Olympiastadion.‘Further examinations will be conducted over the next few days to determine what course of treatment is required. With this in mind, Borussia Dortmund will not at this stage make any precise estimations as to the possible length of the player’s absence.’Reus had been limited to 16 starts in the league for the 2016/17 season with various injury problems and is likely to miss the start of next term. 1
The Naomh Colmcille minors were beaten by Convoy in the Division 2 championship final on Saturday by the narrowest of margins (after extra time). Final score Naomh Colmcille 4-13 Convoy 4-14. Next up for the team is the all-county semi-final.Over 40 children took part in a one day football camp over the Halloween holidays. The boys and girls had a great day of fun and games. A big thank you to all the coaches who ran the camp.The club dinner dance is set for Friday 23rd November at the Station House Hotel, Letterkenny. Guest speaker Mark McHugh (double All-Star winner). Music by the Squealing Pigs. Further details to follow. The club will be holding a Poker Night on Saturday 17th November. Contact Leo Devenney for details.You can now keep up to date with the latest club news on twitter: Go to https://twitter.com/Naomh_Colmcille and hit Follow.Naomh Colmcille Training Schedule this week is as follows• Under 18’s: Minor all-county championship semi-final date/time tbc; please check Facebook or club website for updates. New players are always welcome!!Note: all updates about training and match fixtures will be on the Club’s website (www.naomhcolmcille.com) and Facebook page (Naomh Colmcille GAA.)Naomh Colmcille’s Weekly Lotto: This week’s winning number sequence was 184.108.40.206.6. Six people matched 3 numbers and the winners were Jennifer McDaid, Monica McDaid and Brid O’Brien who won €25 each. Next week’s jackpot is €1500. The Club would like to take the opportunity to Thank Everyone for their continued support of the Lotto as it gives the Club the essential means of continuing to give our local Kids and Adults the chance to avail of a great and healthy pastime. GAA NEWS: NAOMH COLMCILLE CLUB NOTES was last modified: November 5th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Naomh Colmcille GAA club notes
And they face another match without those stars as they host the Welsh side at Wembley as Mauricio Pochettino pays the price for not rotating his squad.Erik Lamela was forced off with cramp against Barcelona so should be fit to start, while Eric Dier is likely to come into the XI having been on the bench in midweek.Elsewhere, Kyle Walker-Peters, Juan Foyth, Moussa Sissoko, and Georges-Kevin Nkoudou could also see action depending on the fitness of other first-team regulars.So how could they line up? Check out our prediction below… huge blow 2 Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Latest Premier League News Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City Is this how Tottenham will look against Cardiff City? Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury REVEALED Tottenham Hotspur star Erik Lamela has been in excellent form in recent weeks. Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won 2 England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won no dice deals REAL DEAL Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars tense shining Tottenham Hotspur are without several key players once more as they face Cardiff City in the Premier League.Spurs were beaten 4-2 by Barcelona in the Champions League in midweek as they had to do without Jan Vertonghen, Mousa Dembele, Dele Alli, Christian Eriksen, and Serge Aurier. Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card gameday cracker silverware Real Madrid ‘offer’ Isco to Chelsea in bid to ‘make room’ for Tottenham star Man United transfer news live: Haaland ‘wants a change’, two players off in January REVEALED
Drake alum Zach Johnson became the 69th member of the Iowa Golf Hall of Fame when he was unanimously selected in his first year of eligibility.The Cedar Rapids native has 12 PGA Tour wins, including a pair of major championships, and has been a regular on the United States Ryder and Presidents Cup teams.Johnson claimed his first major in 2007 when he became the second professional major champion from Iowa by winning the Masters.Last year, Johnson claimed his second major, defeating Louis Oosthuizen and Marc Leishman in a four-hole playoff to win the Open Championship at St. Andrews.With the victory, Johnson became the sixth golfer to win majors at Augusta and St. Andrews.Johnson has played in four Ryder Cups and in four Presidents Cups and also represented the United States in the 2005 World Cup.Print Friendly Version
DONEGAL GAA launched their bumper new fundraising ‘Win Your House In Dublin’ draw this afternoon – and aim to sell 15,000 tickets.Funds raised from the ambitious draw will go towards the completion of the Donegal GAA Training Centre in Convoy.Pictures by Geraldine Diver The draw was launched, in association with Alanna Homes, today by Club Donegal, at a function in the Villa Rose Hotel.The house, at Brownsbarn adjacent to Citywest, is newly built to the latest energy efficiency standards and is valued at around €400,000. “It’s in a very central location and it’s a fantastic house,” said Joanne Dawson, the project manager. “It’s a lovely location and there are only 60 houses in the development.”There are also four other prizes including a new Mazda 2, a week’s holiday, €1,000 cash and a night’s B&B in Carton House with a round of golf for 2.For the first 10 days there is a special Early Bird Launch Offer. Anyone purchasing before October 31st will be entered in a draw with a chance to win ten free tickets. Dawson said: “It is a huge undertaking, but we have a great committee on board. It’s a big deal to sell 15,000 tickets, but we are confident of reaching the target.”The draw is set to take place on February 14, 2020.Tickets can be bought by clicking here: https://winyourhouseindublin.com/ Listen to the full interview below …Win a €400,000 house in Dublin in new Donegal GAA draw was last modified: October 20th, 2019 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Club DonegalDonegal GAADonegal GAA Training CentreJoanne Dawson
The interactive //hapo museum at Freedom Park outside Pretoria is a place for South Africans to consolidate and preserve their freedom heritage in an all-encompassing and inclusive manner, Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe said at the museum’s opening in April 2013.“//hapo”, Khoi for “a dream”, derives from the Khoi proverb “//hapo ge //hapo tama /haohasib dis tamas ka i bo”, which means “a dream is not a dream until it is shared by the entire community”.Motlanthe said the concept of //hapo was instrumental for inculcating a culture of unity and democracy among South Africans.He said a common consciousness had to be developed among all South Africans, such that the country’s national symbols, including its flags and national anthem, reflected the socio-economic development of the country.“Understanding this complexity, it is important to develop spaces for people to tune into their consciousness, providing them with the space to freely fulfil themselves and to cultivate an identity through guaranteeing their freedoms of expression, religion, thought, conscience, belief, opinion and association.”The //hapo museum tells the story of the southern African region dating back 3.6- billion years in an interactive manner. “//hapo is a centre of interactive learning, in particular of learning about the journey to peace in our land,” Motlanthe said.Along the way, this journey progressing through the early wars of dispossession, such as Khoikhoi-Dutch war in the 1500s; the arrival of Jan van Riebeeck in the Cape in 1652; the Third War of Dispossession between the Khoisan and colonial authorities in the 1800s; the South African War, previously known as Anglo Boer War, and the anti-apartheid struggle – all of which help define the freedoms South Africans enjoy today.“Generations to come will use this centre to learn about their origins and therefore understand the uniqueness of being a South African citizen and [of a] people who come from diverse quarters of the world but are despite this united in diversity,” Motlanthe said.“Certainly this centre will allow us to deal with all that is good and bad about our past, conscious not to dwell on it or repeat its mistakes while at the same time being steadfast in drawing important lessons to unite us as we foster a new and common national heritage.”The narration of the country’s history in this way would help South Africans to appreciate “that the freedom we enjoy today is no exclusive preserve of any one social grouping but a proud heritage of all South Africans,” Motlanthe said.It would also help to “free our minds from the bounds of mental imprisonment, allowing us the necessary singular focus to tackling the socio-economic conditions of poverty, unemployment and inequality that constrain the realisation of a better life for all South Africans”.SAinfo reporter
Barely two days after senior Kannada journalist Gauri Lankesh was murdered in Bengaluru, a journalist in Bihar’s Arwal district was shot at and robbed of ₹1 lakh on Thursday by two motorcycle-borne assailants. The incident took place 60 km from here.Police officials said Pankaj Mishra, who was working for the local edition of Hindi newspaper Rashtriya Sahara, was returning after withdrawing money from a bank when he was attacked.Mr. Mishra was later admitted to the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) and is said to be out of danger.Dilip Kumar, Arwal Superintendent of Police told The Hindu that the assailants fired twice at Mr. Mishra. When he collapsed on the road the assailants fled with the money.One of the two robbers, Kundan Mahto, was later arrested, Mr. Kumar said. Police are searching for the other assailant, Ambika Mahto.Asked if it was a case of robbery, the SP said, “it will be known only after the investigation.” However, local police officials said, “prima facie it’s a case of robbery or some personal enmity.”The injured journalist was first taken to a primary health centre from where he was shifted to the Arwal Sadar hospital. Later, he was referred to PMCH, said the SP.The journalist alleged that the attackers had links with a local ruling party JD(U) legislator.Speaking to a news channel, Mr. Mishra said that since he had written several stories against Kundan Mahto, son of a personal assistant to the JD(U) MLA, in his newspaper, he targeted him.Earlier in 2016, a senior journalist in Siwan district Rajdeo Ranjan who was working with the Hindi newspaper Hindustan, was gunned down, a few yards from his office, allegedly by henchmen of former Siwan RJD MP Mohd Shahabuddin.