June 2, 2021 Find out more to go further News RSF asks International Criminal Court to investigate murders of journalists in Afghanistan News February 23, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Local radio station manager decapitated in southeast AfghanistanAsia – Pacific Afghanistan : “No just and lasting peace in Afghanistan without guarantees for press freedom” March 11, 2021 Find out more May 3, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information RSF_en AfghanistanAsia – Pacific News News Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders is saddened to learn of the murder of Sadim Khan Bhadrzai, the manager of Mehman – Melma, a local radio station in Urgun, in the southeastern province of Paktika. His decapitated body was found yesterday after he was kidnapped the previous evening.“We offer our condolences to Bhadrzai’s family and friends, and to his colleagues in the Association of Independent Afghan Journalists, of which he was a member,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We urge the authorities to shed light on the circumstances of this appalling murder. The perpetrators and instigators must be arrested and punished.”Launched last year, the radio station quickly became one of the most popular in the region. Deputy manager Yaghob Manzor said: “Sadim Khan Bhadrzai received a phone call at around 8 p.m. and left his house. His body was found the next day.” The police said they had begun an investigation “to identify the perpetrators of this savage decapitation.”Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid denied that the Taliban had any role in the murder although decapitation is one of their preferred methods of execution-style murder. Classified by Reporters Without Borders as “Enemies of Press Freedom” and responsible for the deaths of a growing number of civilians and journalists, the Taliban are firmly entrenched in the south and east of the country, which are news and information “black holes.” Several journalists have meanwhile been injured by police or protesters during the demonstrations taking place in several cities in protest against the US military for “insulting of the Koran.” The victims include an Agence France-Presse photographer who sustained a neck injury yesterday from a rubber bullet that was not life-threatening.Reporters Without Borders understands that public security has to be the priority for the police during such serious unrest, but the public’s right to news and information is fundamental and must be respected. Use of violence and other illegal actions by the police against journalists always go unpunished and are one of reasons for the increase in physical danger for journalists in Afghanistan. Follow the news on Afghanistan Organisation Situation getting more critical for Afghan women journalists, report says
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailiStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Here are the scores from Sunday’s sports events:INTERLEAGUE Final Chi Cubs 11 Minnesota 10 —— AMERICAN LEAGUE Final Baltimore 8 L-A Angels 2 Final Detroit 9 Toronto 1 Final Tampa Bay 3 Houston 2 Final Chi White Sox 10 Texas 5 Final Cleveland 15 Oakland 3 Final Seattle 1 Kansas City 0 Final N-Y Yankees 11 Boston 1 —— NATIONAL LEAGUE Final N-Y Mets 5 Miami 2 Final Cincinnati 8 Milwaukee 2 Final Philadelphia 4 Washington 3, 13 Innings Final Atlanta 6 St. Louis 5 Final Pittsburgh 7 San Diego 5 Final San Francisco 9 Arizona 6 Final L-A Dodgers 6 Colorado 4Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. Written by July 2, 2018 /Sports News – National Scoreboard Roundup 7/2/18 Beau Lund
Armando Abundis is being held in lieu of $2 million bail. He faces life in prison with the possibility of parole, if convicted, said Sandi Gibbons, spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. Monday, Pasadena Superior Court Judge Teri Schwartz set the July trial date for Armando Abundis, and asked attorneys to regroup for a status conference June 5. The case has moved slowly on its way to trial due to confusion over whether Frances Abundis was involved in the child’s death. In addition, Armando Abundis is on his fifth attorney since the case against him was filed almost two years ago. so hard [email protected] (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4496 PASADENA – A man who allegedly kicked his 2-year-old niece in the abdomen that it severed her intestine, causing her to die, is scheduled to go to trial July 11, a judge said Monday. Armando Abundis Sr., 34, of Alhambra is charged with murder, child abuse and assault on a child resulting in death in the slaying of Sarah Angelina Chavez, 2, the niece of his wife, Frances. The couple were originally charged together in the Oct. 11, 2005, incident after Alhambra police found the child dead in their home after a frantic 9-1-1 call from Frances Abundis, now 37. In late November 2006, the woman pleaded no contest to being an accessory after the fact and to felony marijuana possession. She is now free after serving 14 months in jail since her arrest and is expected to testify against her husband in his trial. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
… ALAMEDA — While the Raiders are determining which players don’t fit into their short-term plans, they have decided to lock up center Rodney Hudson for the longterm.Hudson has agreed to a three-year contract extension worth $33.4 million that will make him the league’s highest paid center. The deal contains $24.4 million in guarantees.The contract was first reported by NFL Network, confirmed by the Bay Area News Group and later announced by the Raiders.This anchor is staying put.
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — Running back Tevin Coleman’s high-ankle sprain in Sunday’s season-opening win is expected to keep him out of the 49ers’ next game, Sunday at Cincinnati.“I know he got hurt on the first play of the game, when they landed on his ankle and then it just got worse as the game went,” coach Kyle Shanahan said Monday. “He tried to battle through it throughout the second quarter and he was done at halftime.”But he’s not done for the season. An MRI on Monday showed that Coleman …
Window dressing on the rock wall of a medieval church stirs unbelief, anger among anti-creationists.At the outset, we are not going to claim with absolute certainty that these carvings are dinosaurs. But look at the photo included in an article for CMI by David Lewis. If you didn’t know where it came from, or when it was made, what would you think?Gemma Tarlach sure thought they were dinosaurs. In her June 1 blog entry for Discover Magazine (written independently of the CMI article and apparently without knowledge of it), she startled her mostly-secular readers with a shocking headline: “FOUND: Medieval Dinosaurs!” (exclamation point hers).But she knows that they can’t be dinosaurs. The builders of this remote 15th-century chapel in the Caucasus mountains of Georgia could not have known about dinosaurs, which were only identified by English scientist Richard Owen four centuries later. Everybody knows that dinosaurs had gone extinct 65 million years ago—according to the materialist consensus.Like Lewis, Tarlach hiked to the remote site herself and took her own pictures.After hiking up to the famous Church of Tsminda Sameba, sitting pretty at an altitude of nearly 2200m in the Great Caucasus, I couldn’t help but notice something a little odd about one of the carvings on the 15th century belfry.The two critters scampering across the stonework bear an uncanny resemblance, in my opinion, to prosauropods, semi-quadrupedal herbivores that preceded the fully quadrupedal, longer-necked behemoths of the sauropod tribe. Or maybe they’re a rendering of Pulanesaura, one of the first sauropods.The artist may have intended to represent one of the salamander species endemic to the region (I don’t know; no one seems to have the answer), but I prefer to believe they’re dinosaurs. What do you think?She didn’t have long to wait. The comments came in hard and fast, “explaining away” the evidence with various speculations, often vitriolic against creationists who might be tempted to use the figures to support their views. It’s stylized otters. It’s salamanders. It’s dragons. Anything but dinosaurs. When the responses got out of hand, she called for a time out. “It’s a curious carving that, as I said, probably depicts some endemic salamander but looks like dinosaurs. That’s all. Just a quirky, funny thing I saw on vacation. Oh wait…I’m on vacation. That’s right. Peace out.”This is more a story about sociology than science. The responses reveal something about human nature: observations that don’t conform to a worldview must be discarded! That’s Maier’s Law in action: “If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disposed of.”The carving is a “brute fact,” but brute facts don’t exist in a vacuum. Many questions must be asked and answered. Who carved it? When was it carved? Was it a later addition after the 19th century? Was it modeled after a mythical creature from local folklore, or from something the artist actually witnessed? Is there any way that fossils could have caused medieval artists to reconstruct what they thought the creatures looked like? Those are fair questions, but Tarlach and some others clearly saw dinosaurs as a first impression. It posed a Groucho Marx dilemma: who would they believe, the materialist consensus or their lyin’ eyes?This is not the only anomalous evidence of recent dinosaurs. Creation ministries have long pointed out indications that ancient people witnessed the extinct beasts from their writings and depictions (e.g., dragon legends, the book of Job, various carvings). Some of the artifacts and manuscripts are more credible than others. Given the multiplicity of indications, from so many different continents (e.g., China, North America, Europe), the overall impression seems strong enough to persuade an unbiased observer that at least some of them are clearly dinosaurs. And then there’s all that soft-tissue evidence (e.g., 6/09/15).Exercise: Read the comments after Tarlach’s article and evaluate the effectiveness of creationist responses. Would they influence a materialist positively or negatively? How could they be improved? (Visited 124 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0
Arms dealer Abhishek Verma might not come out of jail for some time with the CBI slapping a case against him under the Official Secrets Act (OSA).It is the third case the agency has registered against Verma since his arrest in June for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss arms company to use his influence to stall the blacklisting proceedings initiated by the government against the firm after the ordnance scam surfaced.On August 8, when Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Neacsu could have walked out of prison because the CBI could not file a chargesheet in the corruption case in the stipulated 60-day period, the agency had booked them in a forgery case and arrested them in the courtroom itself.Union sports minister Ajay Maken had complained that the couple used a forged letterhead of his to write to the PM seeking easing of business visa norms for employees of a Chinese firm.While Verma’s wife has got bail in the forgery case, she still needs to be in custody because her bail plea in another case registered by the Enforcement Directorate under the Money Laundering Act has not come up in court yet.The third case was registered after the CBI received a formal complaint by the defence ministry that certain documents sent to the investigating agencies by Verma’s estranged US associate, C. Edmond Allen, were secret in nature.”We need to grill them in the OSA case. It needs to be probed how the leaks were made. We want to question Verma about his contacts,” a senior CBI officer said.advertisementSources say Verma’s connections with servicing and retired officers either in the ministry of defence or in the armed forces are under the scanner.Allen had provided documents dealing with acquisition and the future plans of the defence forces, alleging that Verma had shown these to demonstrate his influence. The defence ministry had given the agency a list of seven documents which it found to be coming under the definition of “secret” under the OSA. The CBI will probe how these documents were leaked.– Romanian Anca Neacsu, who had been Abhishek Verma’s second wife for five days at the time of their arrest in June, is said to be a former model. But according to the arms dealer’s former associate and whistleblower C. Edmond Allen’s letter to the CBI, she was a struggling receptionist.Anca has told the CBI she holds a degree in mechanical engineering and had met Verma in the 1990s. “She told us she was a GM in a Romanian company before she started working with Verma,” an officer said.Before her arrest, Anca was the MD of Ganton India, owned by Verma, and a director of Ganton US, nominally owned by Allen.In a letter dated February 10, 2012, to the CVC, Allen mentions a Red ‘N’ Pink company “set up at Verma’s request as a model agency but the account is solely utilised by Anca Neacsu, Verma’s partner-cum-companion”.
Related Items:andrew holness, Justice Cecil Dennis Morrison, Most Hon. Portia Simpson Miller Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppKINGSTON, Jan. 4 (JIS): An efficient and accessible justice system that is high in quality is being guaranteed to members of the public by Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Portia Simpson Miller. “We are determined to invest in justice for our people…Justice must be at the heart and centre of the society. It stands tall as the essential DNA of all that Government seeks to achieve for our people,” said Mrs. Simpson Miller. The Prime Minister was addressing senior members of the legal profession, during the swearing-in ceremony of the new President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Cecil Dennis Morrison, at King’s House, on January 4. He was accorded Jamaica’s fifth highest honour, the Order of Jamaica. For an efficient justice system, Mrs. Simpson Miller acknowledged that key changes in the sector must be made. “This requires synergies between prosecution and defence counsel to achieve the timely disposal of cases,” she stated. The Prime Minister indicated that Justice Morrison’s adept legal knowledge and levels of expertise made him qualified for the position. In his remarks, Governor-General, His Excellency the Most Hon. Sir Patrick Allen, expressed confidence in Justice Morrison’s ability, noting that “the Court of Appeal will be guided by safe hands.” The Governor-General also emphasised the enormous responsibilities for which the new Court of Appeal President will be tasked with, similar to his predecessors. He used the opportunity to praise former Court of Appeal President, Justice Seymour Panton, for his stellar work in service to the Court. Leader of the Opposition, Andrew Holness, in his remarks, assured Justice Morrison of his support and also offered congratulations to him. Like the Governor-General, Mr. Holness used the opportunity to thank Justice Seymour Panton for his “sterling contribution” to the Court and implored the new Court of Appeal President to build on the foundation already laid before him. Justice Minister, Hon. Mark Golding, expressed gratitude to Justice Morrison for helping to improve the justice system, particularly as it relates to chairing the Chief Justice Committees on criminal case management and the development of sentencing guidelines. Meanwhile, Chief Justice, Hon. Zaila McCalla, added her congratulations to Justice Morrison. “The evidence shows beyond the shadow of a doubt that the Hon. Mr. Justice Cecil Dennis Morrison is an eminently suitable candidate for appointment as President of the Court of Appeal of Jamaica,” said Mrs. McCalla. The Chief Justice expects that this year, criminal case management will be fully implemented in all courts, in order to maximise the use of judicial time.For his part, Justice Morrison expressed gratitude for the appointment as well as being afforded the opportunity to build on a court of excellence. He pledged that he would continue to change and improve the Court of Appeal during his tenure. Holness to students: ‘don’t let money stop you’ Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp PM Holness inducted to UWI Honour Park